Tuesday 29 July 2014

Remembrance at the Tower

As many of you well know, this year is the centenary of the beginning of the First World War.

There are events, remembrance services and exhibitions going on across the UK, but Historic Royal Palaces have done what I view is the most inspiring. I haven't had a chance to see it yet, but according to Instagram and Twitter, they are nearly finished!

The Tower of London is surrounded by a (dry) moat, and hundreds of volunteers have been recruited to 'plant' ceramic poppies in it. The result is a river or sea of red, and it looks absolutely magical.

More importantly, it is a fitting way of remembering those who lost their lives defending us, in one of the most awful wars of this century. 

All of these pictures are from Historic Royal Palaces' Twitter account, but hopefully they will inspire you to go and visit the Tower this summer to see it fully finished!






The Tower Remembers installation is from 5th August - 11th November 2014. You can buy one of the poppies at the end of it for £25.

3 comments:

  1. Wow, amazing pictures of the poppies!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I must get to see this soon, I've already applied to buy one of the poppies, I think it's the most powerful installation I've ever seen, truly amazing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I tried too Katie! Did you get one? I think they all sold out so quickly as it was such a nice idea.

      Delete